Friday, April 29, 2011

Boys are like shoes

Ok. So let me really start this blog by telling you the premise of it all. See, I've had this idea for a while and I used to keep a journal of the stories I wanted to write about, but thinking that my last boyfriend was the "comfortable pair of shoes" I'd been searching for, I threw the journal away. Instead of starting to write in a journal all over again, I thought it would be great to start a blog and allow people to not only read my stories/experiences, but also to hear other people's input and have them share stories with me as well. I thought it would nice to start a blog that people could relate to!

This idea started a few years ago when I was talking to a good friend of mine from home, Sara. I was talking to Sara about her relationship with Kyle, who she had been dating since she was 14 (and has now been married to for 2 years). Sara and Kyle were high school sweethearts, the couple that everyone looked up to and compared their relationships with. They always seemed to be able to work things out. I mean, I know they had their ups and downs as everyone does...but their relationship just seemed so mature, so beyond what anyone of us could image....perfect almost. Their relationship baffled me, because for over half of it they were on opposite sides of the country (Sara in Rhode Island, Kyle in California) and yet they still were able to stay together. And everyone, including me, wanted their own "Kyle." lol

So, I was telling Sara all about this, and she reassured me that one day I will find the guy I was meant to be with, my "Kyle." She said:
"You know Dawn, boys are kind of like shoes...."
'How so, Sara?'
Then Sara said something along the lines of: "Well you know how you go into a shoe store and walk around looking for a perfect pair of shoes...and then you spot a pair of shiny, sassy shoes, so you try them on and they seem to fit you really well You walk around in them for a while, check out your legs and feet in the mirror in them, see if they compliment your shape and decide 'Yep, I'm definitely getting these babies.' Then you wear them out for a night, and BOY were you wrong! They gave you blisters, your toes are cramped in them, and the padding that you thought was enough just isn't good enough! So you give them away, or keep them in the back of your closet, or hold onto them just because maybe one day they won't hurt you anymore. Then you go back into the store, again hoping to find a perfect pair of shoes. Your eyes glance over to the boot section...you convince yourself you really need a pair of boots. So you try a pair on...they feel comfortable and they look like they are made out of excellent material, but again when you go out with them for a night, they start constricting you and you get them just a little bit wet, and the hardy nice material you thought they were made of was just a lie, a fashion facade....they fall apart. In the end, every girl is just looking for a comfortable pair of sneakers and they may have to go through several pairs of shoes (maybe even a whole shoe store) before they find them. I'm lucky, I happened to find mine before I had to go through all those pairs of shoes."

When I heard Sara say this, I thought...Wow! What an excellent metaphor...the search for the "perfect" man is comparable to the search for the "perfect" pair of comfortable shoes! And honestly, I've turned into a Floridian being down here so long, so I really HATE closed toed shoes (no offense to your sneakers, Sara! lol)....so the comfortable pair of shoes I am searching for and will continue to search for are a nice pair of flip-flops. NOT thong flip-flops made out of plastic, but a nice pair of say....Teva's or Reefs....with the soft, cloud-like bottoms that (after a while) mold to your feet, like a Tempur-pedic bed...and the cloth thong that doesn't pinch or hurt the flesh between your big and first toe, but caresses it...sitting there just so. I literally will wear a pair of these flip-flops until the sole is worn down so low that the layer between my toes and the ground is almost non existent! LOL

So, anyway.... DING DING...an idea came to my head...with all the dating experiences I have, I could really write about this and relate every guy to a type of shoe! Now, I'm not a fashionista, so sorry to disappoint you, but this blog will not be focusing on specific brands or labels...I do not follow shoes that well, so no Gucci's or Prada's as of now! For that type of information, you'd need to see my friends Kim or Jocelyn!

I also would like to give you heads up, although I will TRY MY BEST to keep my posts about boys and shoes, there may be times where I just need to talk about something else...lol! So I may mix it up a little!

Well, I hope you enjoy reading my stories and personal experiences....as of now, I'm sleeping with stilettos, but reaching for reefs!

Until next time,
Reaching for Reefs

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too! Thanks for the idea and for reading...I'm sure you'll know most of these stories, but it still may be entertaining for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete