Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Walking Bare Foot...My Year Anniversary of Singledom!

Before I start, let me just say a late Merry Christmas to everyone! I've been at home with the family enjoying everything that our Christmas traditions bring about, including homemade (from scratch) raviolis...by the way I did most of the work this year and mom and I made over 100 ravs! I've also been indulging myself with lots of sweets...cannolis, sfogliatelli, stocking stuffers, chocolate covered pretzels, etc. By the time New Years comes around, I'm going to have gained at least 5 pounds, maybe more....oh man, am I going to have to rollerblade and work out a ton to get this off!  We also did our traditional midnight mass celebration followed by opening presents in the early morning and going to bed around 3 or 4am. So far, it's been a great break and a much needed one!

So, why am I writing today? Today marks my one year anniversary of singledom! And when I say singledom, I mean completely single. I haven't had any routine friends with benefits, no unofficial relationships that didn't turn into anything....I've literally had nothing at all. This is very interesting, for you see, I have never gone a whole year without a boyfriend, or at least not without a friend with benefits to call up and have come over right away. I have to say, I am kind of proud of myself for being unattached for a whole year!

See, last year on December 28, Roberto broke up with me and I thought my life was over, but what I didn't realize then was that it was really just the beginning! I've done so many things that I wanted to do over the last year and although at times I do get lonely, I realize I am so better off not being with him. He probably would have held me back.

Here's a recap of the awesome things I've done this year  that I may not have been able to do if I were still with Roberto (and I'm probably missing some, but this is what I could think of):

I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter twice, got to see my best friend from college twice during these trips, and FINALLY went to Universal! I've lived in Florida for 7 or 8 years now and it seriously took me this long to go...wow!

I finished all my classes for my Master's degree, plus I completed my exit exam! Now all I have to do is finish my thesis and I'm out of here!

I bought my own SCUBA gear and have been a hell of a lot more than I used to in undergrad! I have more bottom time under my belt, I feel more comfortable in the water, and I'm also a member of our Scientific Diving Program! Go me! Oh...and last February I went on a shark dive in Jupiter, which I am totally doing again this year!!!

I am a volunteer (although I really need to get more involved because I haven't done much at all) with the Marine Animal Rescue Society (MARS) and have been trained on how to handle injured whales, dolphins, and manatees!

I've also, although not lately because I've been bad, been doing more Zumba classes, as well as rollerblading along the beach. I also joined our intramural softball team...most of the time I played 3rd base...one of my favorite positions!!

I FINALLY visited Key West, visited my friend out there for his Navy Commission Ceremony, which was pretty cool! I walked everywhere on the island, partied at Rick's, got chocolate covered Key Lime Pie, and had a blast! Now to go diving and camping there.....and also possibly sky diving there!

Last March I got a kitten...a sweet little Calico who has tuffs of hair on the tip of her ears, making her look like a miniature bobcat! She is definitely better company than any of the guys I've met in Florida! lol I miss her so much....I had to board her in order to come home this year for the holidays. It's my longest time away from her and I felt so guilty dropping her off at the vet...I didn't think I was going to cry, but I definitely did!

I also went to a Salsa dancing club this year and re-learned a few basic steps! You know me and dancing...I just love it!

So really, I've done a lot this year....a lot of which I either wouldn't have been able to do or would have had to drag Roberto along too. Sometimes I look at couples and I get very bitter, really upset....but then I think to myself, 'Wait a second...I don't have to have the pressure to do things I don't want to, I don't have to get in petty fights over things, I don't have to plan my schedule around someone else, I don't have to waste gas money and miss entire weekend and awesome times with friends because I have to drive 4 hours to see my ex, I can do what I want when I want....this is GREAT!'

I'm walking bare foot right now and I LOVE IT!

And now I leave you with the words of Barney Stinson: Everyone I know is getting married or pregnant...I'm just getting more awesome!


Have a good New Years people! I'm out!

Until Next Time,
Reaching for Reefs

No comments:

Post a Comment